Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Washi Baby quilt

Remember the baby quilt I shared with you recently?


Last weekend, at the BAMQG sew day, I finished this cute quilt up.  Since I sewed up the original top a couple of months ago, it has gotten its name (Thanks to Julie!)--It's the Washi Baby Quilt!  Julie (and a few other members of the guild) felt that the quilt looked like I'd randomly placed washi tape on the grey squares.  This was my first foray into wonky piecing, which was quite the challenge for my very linear mind.  I used spare jelly roll strips (Thanks Ruth!) with a grey solid that I had brought from home, just because I didn't want to learn wonky piecing on good fabric. :)



Here's the finished product.   I thought for quite a while on how to quilt this, and finally settled on my favorite spiral quilting.  With the Wonderland fabric, the spiral appeared to fit well.


For the back, I chose two pieces of patterned fabric from the line, with a grey stripe between them. Another Wonderland print for the binding finishes out the quilt.

This one, as stated before, is headed for the local NICU, where I hope it brightens a family's day when they are struggling.

I'm linking this one up for the Blogger's Quilt Festival, because it's been one of my favorite finishes for the year.

Blogger's Quilt Festival Stats:


  • Quilt Measurements-- 32 inches x 32 inches
  • Special Techniques used, if any--Slice and insert piecing, spiral quilting
Quilted by…--ME!


  • Best category--Favorite baby quilt, favorite home machine quilted quilt

2 comments:

  1. This turned out so well! I have just tried spiral quilting for the first time and love the effect, too!

    ReplyDelete