Wednesday, June 20, 2012

An Introduction and a History Lesson

I decided it was time.  I'm starting a blog to show off my quilts, since I'm always using Flickr for my quilting expeditions.  Let me start with the basics.

I'm Mallory, a Southern transplant living the dream in California with my handsome husband of 1 year.  He's a splash of neutral in my colorful world--I adore him in every way possible.  Not the least of which includes his ability to overlook my fabric OBSESSION.  It's literally taking over our eat in breakfast nook.  He's promised me a sewing room at some point, but we'll see what life holds for us.

I started quilting in the lull between finishing grad school and locating my first job in Alabama (a nursing home gig working with crazy geriatrics).  Between a crazy job and a crazy situation with my then-boyfriend (now husband), I needed something to keep me sane.  My friend Amber offered to show me her quilting skills basics in the lull, and, before I knew it, I was hooked.


My sad little first quilt.  I used primarily Hancock and Joann fabrics and some from Hobby Lobby (I think).  As Tula Pink is my favorite designer now, it's safe to say that I have evolved beyond the fabrics in this quilt.  Not only did I not know good fabrics, I also knew very little about quilting.  The backing was too small, it has holes in it and the quilting is all over the place (half of it fell out after washing).  It's safe to say that I have evolved since then...


The girly quilt (finished in March).



The typewriter quilt top (using solids and the famed Melody Miller typewriter fabric)

And, last but not least, my most recent finished top:


My Parisville Pinwheels top.

I think I have evolved just a bit.  What do you think?

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment